Thursday, December 11, 2014

Communications Breakdown

Let’s talk.

Let’s talk, because that is something I am absolutely horrible about keeping up with. I don’t call people, I don’t e-mail, I don’t reply to e-mails, or texts, or messages on other social media sites...

I’m awful.

The thing is, I want to reply. Hell, I have every intention of replying. Often, I will look at a message, think “Oh, I should respond to that,” and then the next thing I know it’s been two months (or even two YEARS) and I’m now too anxious and paranoid to respond because of the amount of time that has passed.

I'll get that inevitable phone call from my parents with the guilt-trippy, "Just wanted to make sure you were alive" opening because I haven't been in touch for the past few weeks.

This is a problem.

I’m so tired of being the asshole who has to start almost every message with “I’m sorry I haven’t replied/gotten in touch with you sooner.” I feel like a flake. So, I aim to fix that.

But, in order to fix this, I need your help. I need you, if you’re someone who has written to me or is waiting for me to send something, to get on my case about it. I am a forgetful son of a biscuit and I need the occasional slap to the back of the head from someone saying “Hey, still need that thing from you, okay?”




We'll see how this goes. I hope to be on a more regular correspondence level with all of you by early next year.

I also have some ideas of my own that I think will help me get better at keeping up with my messages, but I’ll let you know more about those as I get ready to actually implement them.

Not to tease, but some of them are quite interesting, I feel.



Until then, I remain,

William the Bloody Awful at Staying in Touch Redd

No comments: