Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Name of the Star - A Review for LibraryThing.com

Admittedly, I'm a bit obsessed with Librarything.com.  I constantly update my book list when I get a new book, and I keep up-to-date on what I am currently reading, removing books only when I am completely done.  However, until just recently, I had not been taking advantage of their other features, namely rating and reviewing.  I started rating a while back just to help me keep track of what I have and have not read, and just today I wrote my first review for the site.  It's a quick one because I didn't want to get deep into plot review, for me I feel that a book should mostly speak for itself, but I also feel that a little guidance from those with opinions you respect can't hurt.

Also, I hate spoilers, so I just try to keep away from anything that might go that way by staying more general.

Anyway, enough of my jibber-jabber.  On with the review:

      I want to start this by saying that I love Maureen Johnson. And I don't mean that I love her writing or that I am just a huge fan of her work, though that's true. I mean that I am smitten with the woman herself. She is quirky and hilarious, and that comes through in her writing. This was not a book I expected from her based on her previous stories, so it was interesting to me that she went this avenue.

      Often as I read, I picture the movie version in my head, it's the curse of the filmmaker, but it's also the joy of the avid reader. Being able to use the details given by a writer to imagine the scene they are writing is a wonderful thing, and I would absolutely love to make this into a movie. I'm nowhere near known enough to pitch it, but maybe if I made a sizzle reel or something...

      Anyway, I'm off point. This book was one of those, like most of Maureen's that I've read, that was nearly impossible to put down. I was staying up into the wee hours of the morning to find a good stopping point, and finally just having to call it because my eyes were closing on me (from exhaustion, not from any kind of boredom or lull in the story). It was also one that managed to keep me surprised most of the time. I have read so many stories at this point, studied storytelling, that I can often guess where an author is taking something (or at least think "that's where I'd take it from here"), but not here. I have also read plenty of Ripper stories, many involving ghosts, and this was a new one on me.

      I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good supernatural thriller, regardless of age, or just anyone who can appreciate quality writing.


I hope this becomes the first of many reviews I write, and hey... maybe some of them will even be longer...


William the Bloody Deeply In Like with Maureen Johnson and One Day Hopes To Tell Her That Redd

1 comment:

Baino said...

Thanks for the hot tip William. I'm a poor reader at the best of times and always looking for a recommendation beyond the usual best sellers. Keep up the reviews!