Saturday, September 8, 2012

Raiders of the Lost Childhood

      Last night, as I sat there watching Raiders of the Lost Ark on the big screen for the first time (on an IMAX screen no less, so... really big screen), I felt like I was eight years old all over again.  Spielberg's films, for the most part, have a sense of magic, of whimsy, that always makes me feel like a little kid.

     Raiders is one of those movies that made me fall in love with cinema.  In a way, it's one of the movies that made me want to eventually make my own.  I remember playing Indiana Jones on the Elementary school playground up the road from my house on weekends (often by myself, which were those moments after Alfred Molina left Indy alone in the temple when he had to fend for himself, so why couldn't I?).  I remember my grandmother letting me cannibalize some of her old costume jewelry she didn't use anymore to make jeweled pieces of treasure that an archaeologist like Indiana Jones would go searching for, and then leaving them in trees or other places to find after I'd "adventured" for a while.

      I was really glad to see that several people brought their kids.  This is one of those movies I think all kids should see with their families as soon as it seems right.  I've had the chance to introduce several children to Raiders, and it has always been a wonderful experience.  There are a few moments in the movie that can be rough for children that are too young, but I also feel most kids are stronger than people give them credit for, especially when it comes to the reality of the movies.

      And even if Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls took some steam out of the Indiana Jones engine, Raiders still holds strong enough to make anyone forget the pain of Lucas' horrible story.  I know Spielberg and Lucas made all the Indiana Jones movies together, but to me they have always felt more like Spielberg's.  They show more of his style as a director than Lucas (who, though a decent storyteller, should never write his own scripts or direct his own movies).

      Even if it is a marketing ploy to advertise the upcoming Blu-Ray release, everyone should take this opportunity to see Raiders in the theater.  It is entirely worth it.

      Also, there are some other re-releases coming to theaters for anniversary and Blu-Ray reasons (E.T, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Birds are the three I saw advertised before Raiders).  I plan on seeing as many of them as I can.  I think all movie theaters should occasionally show older movies on the big screen.  That's where the magic will always be for me.


William, the Movie Nerdfighter
who would go see Raiders every single day it was playing if money wasn't an issue