Saturday, April 2, 2011

Moe and the Lawns

When John Green was younger he came up with a list of band names for various styles of music. One of those band names was "Moe and the Lawns."

I think about that name every time I have to mow the lawn, which I did today. As I mowed, I thought about how society forms some rather strange customs. When did people first begin the process of maintaining lawns? What was the purpose? Aside from keeping the yard from getting extraordinarily muddy, of course. But why do we spend so much time on them?

We fertilize, we weed, we groom, we spend money on gas for lawnmowers and weed whackers...

How long would grass grow if left untouched? If it was up to me, I'd just let the stuff grow. Unfortunately, our society frowns on a poorly manicured lawn. But why? Why do we care so much?

People like things neat and tidy, but I for one like a little chaos. I'm not one of those "put the rusted out car on cinder blocks in the yard" type, but I also don't feel we should be putting nature into a neat little box that fits some strange aesthetic that society has placed on it.

Managing a lawn is like forcing the entire world to get a flattop.

My yard is currently high and tight.


William the Bloody Caught Somewhere Between Individuality and Laziness Redd


Oh, and a little postscript:

I've decided to include the previous day's VEDA video at the end of my BEDA blogs.

Why? Because I can.



I look like I'm reviewing my blogroll, don't I?

1 comment:

Baino said...

Mowing lawns? That's what sons/men/horses are for. Although I live on five acres so I have a slasher tractor and it's a lot more fun. Love that you're putting the vlog on your site. Means less travelling.