Friday, April 22, 2011

Let's Get Saucy

I've been trying to teach myself to cook so I can avoid eating out as often as I have in the past (because it is needlessly expensive and I like having more control over what I'm actually eating).

I know the basics, but recipes sometimes are beyond me (mainly because I am lazy and don't feel like making anything until I'm really hungry, which means I don't feel like getting really involved in cooking that's going to take an hour).

One recipe I've picked up from the parents is one that I grew up with. It is unique in that I've never heard anyone else talk about it and when I explain it, I often get funny looks. But it is one of the best meat loaf recipes I have ever seen... or eaten.

The real trick to this, I think, is the sauce and the fact that the meat loaves are served in smaller sizes. It is not one massive loaf, but six individual loaves. And the sauce includes brown sugar and vinegar, making it both sweet and savory.

The ridiculous amount of onions helps there as well.

I have now made this recipe twice in the new house (making my third attempt since getting a copy) and I can definitely tell I'm getting better. One problem I have is there does not seem to be enough sauce. However, I realized that with the amount of tomato sauce left over (based on the recipe) I would just need to double the recipe and have twice as much sauce. It might be too much at first, but it will make leftovers extremely tasty.

Also, I need to work out exactly when to start the rice. I keep over-cooking it and burning the rice at the bottom. Crunchy leftovers are still tasty, but not as good as they could be.


William the Bloody Making Himself Hungry Redd



P.S. VEDA Day 21 - Saucy Meat Loaves (see what I did there?):

No comments: