Thursday, April 14, 2011

Final Day of Tutoring

This semester I have been tutoring students every Thursday at Isaac Bear Early College.

When I first started, I was very nervous. I thought I would end up with students who did not want to be there and would, as such, not try to learn anything. They would be unwilling to listen to anything I said. Fortunately, minus one or two exceptions, that was far from the case.

Most of the students I tutored seemed very keen to learn and to figure out how to improve their writing. I was even told by one of the teacher that they had noticed a marked improvement in the student's work. This made my day.

Today was my last day. I tutored two students in grade 9, English. We worked on a Daily Grammar Practice that their teacher assigns weekly and I helped them further their argumentative essays based on the moral implications of wiping memories in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

It has to be said, I wish this school had been around when I was in high school.

I've enjoyed this semester tutoring students. Now I'm just trying to decide if that is better than actually teaching a whole class.

For the time being, the whole class will likely remain the better option.


William the Bloody Likely Gonna Be A Teacher Yet Redd

P.S. VEDA Day 13:

1 comment:

Scott said...

I think I need to tutor my son in English. My daughter understands me, but he just looks at me like I'm retarded. (hint: he's right).