Monday, April 18, 2011

The Absolute Insanity of Oleander Drive

Anyone who has driven in Wilmington has probably experienced the madness that is Oleander Drive. Recently, I've noticed exactly how mad it is.

On Thursday, I narrowly avoided a rear-end collision. While stopped at the Oleander/College intersection waiting t turn on College, the guy in front of me stopped short, causing a chain reaction that ended with the three cars behind me hitting each other. The car directly behind me was pushed into my bumper, but it was only a mild tap and I got away clean.

Personally, I'm still leery of any car behind me after my big wreck back in 2006. I panic whenever a car gets too close to my rear on the highway. It's not something that is going away any time soon, so I've accepted it... by vigorously cussing out anyone who gets too close and freaks me out.

Today I decided that I would try to avoid heading in to town via Oleander. That is where most of the insanity seems to be focused. I've thought about it, and there have been so many times I've driven that way only to see accident after accident in the same spot my near-miss occurred (or "near-hit" as Carlin would have said because I nearly got hit).

After getting behind one elderly driver going 25 and under on a 40 MPH road (in which most lunatics keep it around 50 MPH) and having some freak drive around another car to squeeze in between us at an uncomfortable angle for my liking, I'm done with that particular intersection.

The term "avoid like the plague" comes to mind here.

I have enough worries in my head without the added concern of moronic drivers who don't know what they're doing.

And a word of advice:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE YOUR BLINKER! IT IS WITHIN EASY REACH OF THE STEERING WHEEL, SO THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

Thank you and good day.


William the Bloody Driving With A Helmet From Now On Redd

P.S. VEDA Day 17 - Evil William takes the wheel:

No comments: