Sunday, January 16, 2011

Too Late for Resolutions?

I guess it's never really too late, is it?

To add to my ever-growing list of things to do, or better, accomplish this year, I have decided that I am going to attempt to read at least 50 books by the end of 2011.

I feel this is important because, while I do read, I have not felt like I have read enough of late. I feel that I have been remiss. My goal is to get to a point where I can finally keep up with my book purchasing habits. I have close to a thousand unread books cluttering my home at the moment. I do not plan on actually putting them away and shelving them properly until I have actually read them.

I have the same problem with movies, but I've slowed in my movie purchasing since signing up for Netflix. I do plan on watching a great number of my VHS this year so I can possibly sell them.

But let's get back to that whole "50 books in 2011" thing, shall we?

In this list I must include textbook reading because school must come first. I cannot shirk my educational reading over entertainment reading, no matter how much I would like to.

I'm kidding... sort of...

Now, as for progress. We are several weeks into 2011 and I am very happy to report that I have already finished two books and am almost through a third. So far on the list:

1. The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett
2. Democracy - Henry Adams
3. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Currently, I am in the middle of rereading Gatsby. I don't know if it is just because Henry Adams is so dense (by dense I mean thick, heavy, tightly-packed) or because I've been rejuvenated lately with the new year, but Gatsby has been a very quick read. I'm averaging about a chapter a day, and for someone who typically gets through half that with everything else going on, that's progress!

This is something else that I will keep updating throughout the year.

Gotta give myself something to talk about to really feel motivated to write, it would seem.


William the Bloody Self-Motivating Redd

3 comments:

10thDoM said...

How about you come to me?

William the Redd said...

Funny you should mention that. I'm working on something for you right now. Should be up later today.

Scott said...

Well, Gatsby is a good read... I remember flying through it as well. If you like F. Scott. Fitzgerald, you should check out "This Side of Pradise." I rather liked that one a lot too.