Saturday, August 14, 2010

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

I love going to the movies.

Sadly, the offerings from Hollywood as of late have been less and less interesting and "must see" compared to when I was a child.

Leave it to Edgar Wright to give me back my sense of absolute wonder in the movies.

Thursday night I went to see the midnight showing of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and was completely blown away.

Now, admittedly, I had reservations when this was first announced. I'd read Bryan Lee O'Malley's brilliant graphic novel and knew that Edgar Wright was the only guy who could bring it to life on the screen, but I didn't see Michael Cera pulling off Scott. Nothing against the guy, I'm a fan, but he's a bit of a one-note actor. Every role I've ever seen him play is exactly the same.

Again, leave it to Edgar Wright to prove me wrong.

I knew it was going to work when I saw the trailer:


After that, it was just the waiting game. I have been waiting for this movie all summer. Out of all the releases, this was THE ONE.

And it did not disappoint.

From the start we are treated with a taste of what we're in for. The Universal logo is now 8-bit and the Universal theme comes through as if it was the opening of a video game. If you've read the graphic novel, you know why this is pure genius.

Then it is a series of brilliant visuals and 4th wall breaking dialogue.

I wish I could break down this movie into each individual moment, but this is one of those movies that just has to be experienced.

While it's not for everyone, assuredly, it is absolutely an amazing film and I highly recommend you see it as soon as possible.

The soundtrack is also amazing. It features new songs from Beck (who has created songs for Scott's band Sex Bob-omb) and Metric (performed by the Clash at Demonhead with Brie Larson doing an amazing job as lead singer Envy Adams). I'll be picking up this album immediately.

So, go, see Scott Pilgrim and experience a movie that is just fun, visually stunning, and brilliant in every way.


William the Bloody Gonna See It Again Soon Redd

No comments: