Sunday, August 1, 2010

Return to the Blog

Let's not get in to where I've been and what I've been doing and why there hasn't been a post here since March. Instead, let's just say I've been extraordinarily busy and leave it at that for now. The full story will be revealed over the course of the next month as I once again attempt BEDA (Blog Every Day August).

Now, the previous BEDA was held in April, but the lovely and amazing Maureen Johnson decided to move it so she might be able to participate (thinking at the time that her schedule would be more open in August than it was in April). That, sadly, is not the case. She has stated that she will be around, but she will not have the time to participate fully in the BEDA experience.

This doesn't mean that the rest of us are left in the lurch. Maureen has created a community of bloggers to help back each other in this venture, who hopefully will be around to talk to and share ideas with.

So, let's start this blog off right by not going into some long, tedious explanation of where I've been this summer.

In the place of that, I'm going to talk about an interesting project I tried to take part in called "Life in A Day." This is a documentary directed by Kevin MacDonald and produced by Ridley Scott that will chronicle the lives of thousands of people all over the world in the course of one day. To pull this off, the two men asked people to film their day on July 24, 2010 and submit it through the film's Youtube page by the end of the month. I decided that I wanted to be a part of this experience, so let's briefly go back to that day.

I woke late and decided not to shoot my original opening of myself waking up. The original plan was to go and help my friend Mike shoot something for a project he's working on. Having not received a phone call from him, I decided to just film some bits of my day before he called. I filmed myself showering, dressing, eating breakfast, cleaning the dishes, rolling a garden hose, and editing some video on my laptop. This whole process took a few hours as I just did these tasks whenever I felt like it and started recording only those events. Mike never called, so I read Volume 6 of Scott Pilgrim (amazing, by the way) and got ready to go see the Cape Fear Roller Girls double header that night. After two outstanding victories from the CFRG, I went to Cape Fear Wine and Beer with my friend John and his friend Jeremy. We had a drink, then stopped by the CFRG after-party at the Cellar. Later, I stopped by the Browncoat and listened to some karaoke (I was planning on singing, but by that time I was too tired and didn't really feel like it). I went home confident in my footage, and went to sleep.

Now, fast forward to this past Friday night (July 30th) in New Bern (had to run home for the weekend). This was the first opportunity I had to upload my footage and get it ready to submit on Saturday (the last day). Upon hooking everything up and attempting to capture the tape, I hit a snag. The heads on my camera are apparently dirty or damaged and not playing the tape properly. I tried the head-cleaning tape I keep in my camera case, but no luck. While dealing with this I was also in the middle of repairing and replacing my parent's computers, and I had already promised my friends Joe and Evan that we would go shooting on Saturday (at the time expecting to have this footage uploaded and done with). The camera still won't play back anything properly.

Needless to say, I did not submit any footage to Life in A Day and I'm worried that I won't be able to fix my camera, even after getting it professionally cleaned.

What's the point of this story? First, camera maintenance is essential to any video/film maker, and second, always check your equipment the day before you plan to use it.

These are both things that I know, yet I somehow always manage to ignore them when it is important. Something for me to work on, I guess.

So, with that I shall end my inaugural BEDA blog post for this August 1st evening. At least I can take comfort in this:

Jeff will be over the moon that I'm writing again because that means I have no excuse not to write something for The Tenth Daughter of Memory (because I know he's going to read this and respond with exactly that, but possibly with more colorful language peppered in his response).



As always, I leave you,


William the Bloody Lesson Learned Redd

1 comment:

JeffScape said...

HAHAHAHA! Damn skippy!