Monday, August 9, 2010

If You'll Pardon Me, I'm Going To Briefly Talk About Avatar

And by briefly, I mean it will be just a minor mention to get to another topic.

So, when I went to see Avatar, I was struck by a specific piece of the score. It was familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. It was a trill of trumpets used for battle and action scenes in Avatar and I knew for sure I'd heard it in similar context elsewhere.

For the next few days, I tried to find a piece of James Horner score that had a similar trill. I remained stumped and annoyed until I decided to watch the new Star Trek on DVD. Right in the middle of the movie, it hits me.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan!

That's right, James Horner cannibalized a part of his own score to use in the newest James Cameron spectacle. I often wonder what makes creatives do this. I understand reusing something that didn't get major play when you first did it, but Horner's Star Trek II score is probably one of the most well known scores from the Trek movies (at least in my mind).

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I don't really mind that Nino Rota took his score from a Fellini film and retimed it to create the score for the Godfather. But for some reason, this bothered me. Maybe with Rota it feels more genuine and with Horner it just feels lazy.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting bitter with age.

But, "On Ceti-Alpha 5 there was life, a fair chance."

"THIS IS CETI-ALPHA 5!"


William the Bloody Better Believe I'm Watching Wrath Of Khan Right Now Redd

3 comments:

PinkPixieDF (Heather) said...

I always pay attention to the music in movies too. When I first saw the trailers for the newest Sherlock Holmes movie, my first reaction to the trailer was... "hey, I bet that music was composed by Hans Zimmer. It sounds a lot like the score from Pirates of the Caribbean"... turns out I was right.

JeffScape said...

He cannibalized STIII for Aliens, as well. Seems Cameron gets all of his ST leftovers.

C. Hill said...

TWOK's soundtrack is not just a good Trek score, but very good music. It perfectly fits the "Horatio Hornblower in space" feel - in the movie that most perfectly captured that concept. Then again, I felt a lot of Avatar was recycled from earlier films, so no surprises. Dances with Spacewolves... but the Indians win this time!