Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sister City Film Festival


May is just the month for festivals, or festivals that I attend. As stated in my last blog, the beginning of May heralded the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival. Well, on May 23rd there was yet another of my favorite festivals, the Sister City Film Festival in New Bern, North Carolina.

One reason this is one of my favorite festivals is because this one takes place in my home town.

So, the day begins at 8:30a.m.

*HITS SNOOZE BUTTON*

The day begins at 9:30a.m.

I was a little late to the festival, so I missed the documentaries, though I heard they were all good.

After the documentaries block was a little segment they refer to as "The Regulars". As you can guess, this block includes regular submitters and hometown folk, including myself. This year we had four shorts playing in the festival.

First up was The Chore:


This was followed by the rough edit of the Homosoypian short (which is still in the works. I'll post it when it's available).

Just for fun, I tossed together a teaser for the upcoming Jersey Jones re-release I've been working on (that too, will soon be posted).

Then, I wrapped up my portion of festival entries with Five Minutes 'Til...:


The rest of the Regulars block included two shorts from Jay Tyson, a really cool Doctor Who short (done with puppets, because that's his thing) and a work in progress about an alien invasion gone wrong, and a really funny short about a girl dating Death from Bill Hand.

After this, we had a little lunch break.

Upon returning, we were treated to the Superkiiids! feature film, "Lightning Salad Moving Picture":


If you haven't seen this ridiculous, funny movie, you should definitely try to find it. Go to the Superkiiids! website and order one if you have to.

Cory from the Superkiiids! was there and held a Q&A session with a parachute (you remember these, from camp and such, everyone grabs the parachute, they raise it up, and someone goes underneath to ask a question). It was a hoot.

After this there was a block of the more "risque" films, mainly due to gore and language. These were a decent bunch of films.



I had my FlipCam on hand, so I took a little video. Check it out:



This year's festival was quite eventful, I felt. The turn out was not as large, but considering how short the preparation for this festival was, that's not surprising. I'm going to see what I can do to help get the word out about next year's.



William the Bloody Festival Frenzied Redd

No comments: