Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Just Had A Thought

So, I've been working on an idea for a series for a while now. I always say that it's "like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but the whole team is like Xander".

Well, every time I try to write the characters, they just end up becoming the basic "save the world at all costs" types. But, that's not the show I'm trying to make. I want this thing to be something unique. While I love shows like Buffy, Angel, and Doctor Who, the characters I'm creating aren't those people.

They're just regular guys. Well, most of them are.

As I write this, I'm watching John Green on BlogTV (after watching Dr. Noise perform for a while, it's been a good night). John just said something earlier about "Catcher in the Rye" that has got me thinking.

He was talking about how it's not an average story because Holden is just a normal person. The story is more like real life.

That's more how I want the series to be. The original concept was always supposed to be a group of "regular guys" in very irregular situations. I guess, the best way to describe it is this:

It's like the Venture Brothers, without all the super-science and costumed mad-men. Instead, it's just normal people dealing with aliens and monsters.

I'm going to try to write the series without any truly heroic exploits. These guys are just doing a job that they know needs to be done.

Think it'll work?


William the Bloody Regular Redd

No comments: