Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Apparently, Today Was Moving Day

I was planning on having another day in, when I got a call from Mike. He was moving out of his house today (landlord is upping the rent towards the ridiculous, so Mike's had to go). Well, he runs in to a little hassle with the U-Haul place and doesn't get the truck when he planned, putting him four hours behind.

This, of course, is where I come in. He calls and asks for a hand getting stuff onto the truck. So, I head over and spend the next few hours completing the job he's been working hard on all day. We pack up the last bit and empty the house.

So, fun night.

But, seeing Mike throw away a lot of (at least seemingly) useful stuff has got me thinking about things. How much stuff do we actually need in our lives? I have a lot of stuff, and that's really all it is... stuff.

I save WAY too much stuff. It's become a thing with me. I can't throw things away at first. I save fortunes from Chinese restaurants. My apartment is full of stuff that I don't really need and will probably never use.

First step, I need to finally get rid of my comics. I was a collector for about 20 years. Mainly, I collected Marvel; but there were quite a few DCs in there as well. But, with all the collected editions available now, I no longer need all those individual issues. I never collected to collect, I collected to read. So, if I can get Marvel Essential and DC Showcase collected editions with about 50 issues in one book, that's what I'm doing.

So, if anyone reading this wants some comics from the 80s or 90s, let me know. Everything must go!

Back on topic, after the comics go I'm going to gather up all my toys from my parents house. I have massive amounts of toys. Growing up, I collected G.I Joes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Legos (oh, so many Legos), and don't even get me started on my Star Wars figures.

It is Spring, so I guess I'm going to do a little cleaning.

Also, I have a ton (metric ton, seriously) of VHS tapes. Those definitely need to go. I've had to build structures against the walls to get them out of the way. It's a little sad.

On that note, I'm going to sign off for today, go clean up the bedroom a little, get my clothes organized (and maybe even get them off the bed finally. There's one pile that is very close to collapsing on me as I sleep). Might even take a pile or two to give to charity.

It is definitely time for me to lighten my load.


William the Bloody Cleanly Redd

No comments: