Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Return from Complete Stagnation

I have been such a remarkable slacker.

When I got back from L.A. I was so excited and pumped to get to work on all these projects I had waiting. And, for about a week, it worked. I was finishing up a lot of unfinished projects and starting some new ones. I even joined a few collaborative projects in the hopes that it would keep me focused and help me manage my time better.

That, was not the case.

I quickly lost my position as a writer for Forces of Geek because I wasn't putting enough effort into my blogs (perhaps because I still considered them blogs and did no planning before writing them). Also, I didn't really start off with a clear idea of what I wanted to write. When you think you're doing a good job, then find out that you were lying to yourself; it is just like hitting a massive brick wall. And, that's what happened.

Then came a slight spiral.

I've been in a funk.

The only work I've been doing consistently is my weekly post to the Five Awesome Bloggers' blog. While I'm very glad to have my weekly Wednesday post, it's not enough. I need to get back to writing on a regular basis. I started last night/early this morning by writing a blog post similar to this on my Nerdfighter ning page. This one is going into more detail though.

So, what broke me from my funk?

Actually, I broke it myself, but YouTube decided to help by lighting a serious fire under my ass.

Having not checked my YT account in a while, I was unaware of the massive move by Warner Music Group to completely piss me off. I currently have five videos that are either blocked completely or muted due to a B.S. music dispute.

I do not understand this. I don't make any money on these videos, so why the hell do they care if I use a piece of music in my videos? I've always felt it should be the artist's call, not the corporate executives who had NOTHING TO DO WITH CREATING THE SONG!!!

At least most of those videos were due for a re-edit. In fact, one of the few projects I've been working on in my funk is the new version of both Jersey Jones shorts (which were blocked because of one piece of music from the Indiana Jones series). That's fine though, I wasn't going to put the new versions on YT for a while, now I may not at all... even though I'm not going to use any music I don't have permission to use.

YT used to be a great site, but I think they've become a little too corporate. I would even blog about this, but they have a nasty habit of removing videos and users that take issue with their policies. Of course, blogspot is owned by Google, so if I'm not careful...

Sorry, my paranoia gets to me some times.

Anyway, after a swift kick in the ass, I'm back! And hopefully you'll be hearing from me on a much more regular basis.


All for now, but I'll be back tomorrow or Friday,

William the Bloody Revitalized Redd

No comments: