Monday, August 25, 2008

The value of life and death

My grandfather passed away Sunday night.

He'd been in declining health for the past few years, but it was still rather sudden.

One of the things that I keep coming back to as I think about his life and the inevitability of death is what I've accomplished.  On the one hand, it seems like quite a lot, but in the long run, my life has been rather small.  Most nights I sit at home and watch TV, or mess around on the internet (maybe write a new blog... ahem).  When I really sit down and think about it, I've spent roughly 70% of my life sitting home alone doing a whole lot of nothing.

I also think about his life, the things he's done.  Then there's my paternal grandfather (well, step-grandfather actually) who died several years ago.  He had an exciting life.  He travelled, he lived.  They both did.


So all this led me to one very simple conclusion:

It's time to get off the fucking couch!


I'm sick and bloody tired of watching from the sidelines and am ready to get in the game.

Now, I've said things like this before (I said it when my other grandfather died), but this time I'm really going to do it.  Because, here's the other thing...

...I'm 29 years old.


That means next year (next July to be exact) I'll be 30.  There are so many things I hoped to have done by at least 30 that I haven't done.  Many of them are on my "100 things to do before I die" list that everyone has (at least in their heads; mine's on paper).  There's a documentary about a group of guys trying their damnedest to mark everything off their own list called "The Buried Life"



This inspired me to finally write out my list, and now I want to see how many of the items I can cross off before I turn 30.

My friend J created a "Dirty 30" list for when he turned 30 this year, I'm hoping to top his list.

I'll post the list soon, and I'll probably vlog about it on the 5 Regular Guys Youtube page.  That will be posted here as well.


Again, my goal is to complete as many of the tasks I've set for myself on my "100 Things To Do Before I Die" list before I turn 30.  This happens next July, so I have a little under a year.

I better get crackin'!


William the Bloody Determined Redd

No comments: