Friday, August 1, 2008

Doctor Who made me cry

What is it about certain series making me tear up like a friggin' baby?

So, the series (season for us in the U.S.) finale of Doctor Who just went off and I'm sitting here drying my eyes because of the result.  I think the saddest thing in the world would be having all those great adventures with the Doctor wiped from your head and going back to your meaningless little existence.  At least all the other companions left behind have the memories.  They have their time with the Doctor to look back on.  Donna has nothing.  She's left to a fate worth than death.

Dalek Khan was right, one did die.  And it was the worst kind of death imaginable.  To me, the loss of mind is the one thing that truly horrifies me.

Certain shows have always had that effect on me.  When Buffy died at the end of season 5 of BtVS (and "The Body" is the most I've EVER cried), when Anya and all the others died trying to stop the First at the end of the series, when Illyria took over Fred's body in season 5 of "Angel" (if you haven't caught on, Joss Whedon makes me his bitch on a regular basis).  Don't get me started on "Serenity".  The new Doctor Who series has had the same power over me.  The Doctor and Rose have had many teary moments.

Two people I watch on YouTube are big Doctor Who fans.  Kayley and Rosianna started a channel to have an ongoing discussion about the latest series.  They seem to have a similar reaction to the show.  Here are some videos regarding their take on the finale:









It's funny.  Growing up I didn't know any girls who were fans of the Doctor.  I'm sure there were some, I just didn't know any.  Now, because of the move to nerdy things being cool (thank you Harry Potter and Nerdfighters, et. al!), and the power of the internet, we can find each other and talk about the things we have in common.

I love all you nerdy girls and wish I could meet you IRL.


William the Bloody Nerdy Redd

No comments: